Monday, August 9, 2010

11.5 - Thing #11 - Digital Citizenship

Digital Citizenship

Awesome article here explain this new concept (at least, new for me). I had heard about it but wasn't really sure what it was. I particularly enjoyed reading Cool Cat Teacher's blog posting on the topic and I find myself agreeing with her.


These are the things I've learned:
Students need on-going lessons on Digital Citizenship. I can't expect them to remember this new stuff EVERY time. It needs reinforcement! : )

Students need to learn to ask themselves: Is this a trusting resource? Are my comments exuding good etiquette? Am I listing my resources as I post something? Is this a good piece of information for my project? Am I providing too much personal information??

We, as teachers, are responsible for teaching our students these things. Although they might be common sense for some of us, our kids don't know these things. That's why we are there to guide them! : )

I'm even thinking of creating posters that I can hang around my room.


So, here's my lesson outline:
Actually creating the opportunity/scenario for students to research using the internet.

Then, prompting a series of questions that they can find the answers to by working with a partner on their research.

I will show them Cool Cat's blog on this, have my posters ready, and show them different articles where people have had bad experiences due to having poor Digital Citizenship.

Thank God for ActivBoards... So, all the kids in class, as they've used laptops for this day, can view all this great information.

No comments:

Post a Comment