Monday, August 9, 2010

11.5 - Thing #5: Microblogging

I love it!!!

The whole idea of
Microblogging
between BLOGS and EMAILS is great! in theory. For me, I don't think it would work out. I am a very busy person and find myself barely able to keep up with this blog. Therefore, how can I add something else to my plate??! But, I want to give it a try and see what happens before I sound like a "Debbie-downer."



twitter

Although when I think of twitter I think of the overated, Hollywood people... And yes, including some of those stars. I find their constant information on twitter... Well, annoying. Too much information. Then, they complain about lack of privacy. Of course, some, not all.

Here's a great video explaining the trend that now is twitter.
Twitter in Plain English from leelefever on Vimeo. Also, I appreciate the common sense etiquette that this blogger posted. It's good to keep in mind that it is not all about you or "self" importance/validation... It's about becoming part of a community where you show interest in others; give credit to others (reminds me of when I learned about plagiarism! LOL :) and always say "please" and "thank you." I don't think I'll have trouble with those... Last, add VARIETY. Yep, sometimes I feel that I'm guilty of that... because I "choose" what thoughts I want to have. Here is another article about twitter.

As to educational reasons to twitter,
here is a good article. I can see how it would be great if all students could go Mobile and "follow my class" with updates. If that were the case, I would definitely make the effort of twitting because I do have updates throughout the day about whatever it is that we're learning, discussing, issues that a student brings up, or even things that happen (news) as the day goes on.

For more information on twitter, follow the
Library2Play2 website here. Scroll down and you'll find more available links to other articles about twitter and its relationship with education and people.



Backchanneling

I recently used Today's Meet during a training I went to. I actually liked the experience and think that my students could benefit from something like this. I like it!
My quiet students would get a chance to express themselves non-verbally as everyone would think before typing away their thoughts... In other words, better quality work. I think.
Interesting article on this,
here.

No comments:

Post a Comment