Saturday, August 7, 2010

11.5 - Thing #2 - Exploring it ALL is the key!

IMAGE GENERATORS 2
Student Products for the 21st Century

Image found here.

Nope, it's not TERMINATOR 2 ... But it certainly sounds like it!
Is it only me, but "Part 2" of something is pretty exciting.

Wordle or WordSift, Glogster/edu or VoiceThread, Animoto or Voki, and Bookr

How could a student use
Worldle or WordSift in their learning and creating?
Worldle: With word "clouds," a student can identify the main idea in an easier manner... Worlde identifies the word used most often in an article, and highlights it by making it bigger than the rest. It stands out and it's easier to identify what the article is mostly about by looking at the rest of the words in the cloud...
WordSift: Interesting concept. It also dissects texts by choosing the words used most often, providing a "delicious-like" cloud of words, and providing hyperlinks for these words. Meaning, by clicking on each word, it can take you to websites that provide information about that specific word. This would be great when students are doing research projects and don't know where to begin after reading an article.

As Glogster is used, would there be any different thinking a student would have to do to turn in a poster online as opposed to a cardboard poster? If there is different thinking, is it better or worse, more or less, or how is it different? The thinking process doesn't change in content... only in application. The student doesn't have to think about going to the store and getting new Crayola markers, colored pencils, glitter, etc... for their poster. Now, the student still thinks about the content and color choices, design etc... but instead of using tangible design tools, the student is using Glogster with all the tools available in the click of a mouse. Since I grew up and am a product of the "old school" era, with paper, pencil, pen, and cardboard poster presentations, I still believe in some of those old ways. They weren't ALL wrong :) Check out my Glog here.

Voicethread: What situations might this be the most appropriate tool for students? Not sure... Maybe because of the late hours that I'm attempting to finish this... But, I will say that it seemed a little more "complicated" than the rest of the other applications. When I clicked on something that I thought I wanted, it would take me somewhere else that I wasn't expecting. Maybe I need more practice because as of now, I don't think I could do a good job.

Animoto: How can students and/or educators use this? I think it's perfect for those short "introductions" or closure moments. I use it in class as an anticipatory set. In other words, it is my opening ot my lesson or the closure/main idea to a concept. For instance, I posted in my blog an animoto I used to help explain "globalization."
You can also use it as something fun. In one of the postings following this one you'll find an example of a fun one I did for the kids at the end of the year as they were asking me if I was going to go on vacation on my yacht...?!! Now, what made them think I had a yacht!! I can barely afford a house! :)

Voki: I think it's a fun and interactive way to send a message. However, I had the HARDEST time getting mine to work so I gave up on it. I tried mine four different times and I kept getting the same message: "Need to add new audio" I did!!! Like 20 times and it still wouldn't work.

Bookr: Students could use Bookr instead of what other tools to create products for what assignments? Bookr seems interesting and fun. I did not create one because of time... It required me to go to Flickr and after spending so much time trying to create a Voki, I think I'll explore Bookr more later. This is a great alternative to a book report!

I'm not the kind to give up. But since I'm running out of time and I'm barely on Thing #2, I have to move on... Plus, those error messages were annoying me!! AAAH!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment