Thursday, August 13, 2009

~ Moment of Luxury ~

Yes, today I met Bill Stubbs from PBS' Moment of Luxury!!!! :) Aw, that's as close as I can get to elegance and a moment of luxury. Great, humble, creative, and classy - simply him. I would describe him as conservative yet contemporary and with gusto. What you see on TV is what you get - and more - when you meet him in person. Pepe Pena from Que Pasa USA? would most likely describe him as
"...fino y educado..."
Thanks to good friends at work, I got the courage to say hello and ask this good man for his autograph and yes, a picture with me!! I was a nervous wreck... but he was kind and awesome, and totally was up for it. No, I'm not quitting my job as a teacher and interviewing for an interior design position... Although if you know of a paid internship asking for people with no experience and zero training, then let me know and I'll be there!!!! :)

Here's the story, check this out:

My school had a teacher's lounge that was in bad shape. When an 18-year, veteran teacher is telling you that the place had been like that since then, you know it's messed up. So, to make a long story short, some wonderful, caring volunteers from Memorial Drive Presbyterian Church in Houston, donated their time, effort, and skills. Cause? Us. Saving Poor Teachers.

Bill Stubbs was one of them. He was in charge of the design and of getting our new furniture that was donated by the awesome, Jim McIngvale, better known as "Matress Mack" from Gallery Furniture in Houston. To say the least, all of us that work at the school were shocked. I was deeply touched and moved by such generosity... To see that someone... someone out there (more like a couple hundred people, we were told), thought of us... and value the work we do as teachers every day, just makes you feel good. We don't have a PTA, we don't have parent volunteers either, and no - people are not jumping and fighting to come to our school and help out. What is that???? We hold no knowledge of that. That's why THIS is significant.

My words don't do honor to what these kind and talented people did for our school... But I will try to take pictures and post them here so you can take a look and judge for yourself. Unfortunately, there won't be any "before" pictures, but just take my word for it! I didn't even eat lunch there!!!

Thank you, Gallery Furniture and MDPC Volunteers, for giving of yourself and sharing it with us. "...And you will know them by their fruits..."

Today in History: August 13, 1965
Celebrating my first, "Today in History" moment, I want to send a SHOUT-OUT to my dad!!! For celebrating his 44th year in this great and beautiful country we call America. Congratulations, dad. Thanks for coming over, working hard, and doing things responsibly since August 13, 1965, and instilling in us principles, values, and a strong work ethic. Dicen que te ha ido bien... :)

4 comments:

  1. I could give you nightmarish descriptions going all the way back to the 70s for that "lovely" lounge...but o, the good times that came outta there!! Laughter, good stories, and friendship, not to mention LOTS of great food did a lot to cover up the "ugly"

    Congratulations on your new landing spot from the stresses and cares of many busy days...and how much fun for you personally!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi VWB, thanks so much for your comments! I really appreciate it. I think you're my one and only reader right now... :) And I'm thankful it's you!

    I agree: Definitely the goods times in that place... and more to come, I think... I'll keep you posted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carranza, your blog is awesome! I am so glad you are keeping up with it (I'm guilty of not adding any more... yet). Congrats to you on finishing, and I just want you to know again how much it meant to me to get your encouraging comment when I was on Thing 8 with only 3 days to go... You helped me believe that it was possible to finish in time. Your blog really showcases how creative you are - I bet you are an awesome teacher! So keep your blog going! Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Farmgirl Librarian for your sweet and thoughtful comment! I appreciate the kind words. I'll keep checking your blog for updates! Meanwhile, the best to you and your library! :)

    ReplyDelete