Friday, December 4, 2009

What's up?

A lot since my last post :)

1. In October, reminisced about the year 1999 as I ran into a live, TV concert performance of the Backstreet Boys. Yes, you can laugh but they did define my junior and senior year of high school. I graduated back in May of 99. They also came out with a new CD on October 6. FYI in case you're wondering :)

2. I'm enjoying teaching my group of kids this year. I couldn't ask for a better year! :) In spite of the "busy-ness", meetings, more work and expectations, and less time to sleep and rest, I've had some great new lesson ideas on this great school year. Most of my students (like 93%) this year are sweet, smartER, caring, polite, and good-hearted. This formula = success.

3. Enjoyed a very happy Thanksgiving :)
Thankfully evaluating all the blessings I've received this year: New house, new car, new attitude for and @ work, and a new outlook on life. Aw, refreshing... and worth the wait :)

Source: Here.

4. Been using my acitvboard and loving it! Especially the speakers... Great sound! It makes grading papers, lesson planning and organizing your classroom OK when listening to music with surround system on those long afternoons.

5. Busy being a new homeowner :) And spending lots of $ on paying bills :(

6. Watching a kitten "grow up" (Vivo - check out one of my early posts) and become as big as his mamma, already!! And he's not even 5 months old yet until Dec. 18th. The awesomeness of life :)

7. Countdown to my birthday as December started! I'll be 28 soon... Yikes!!!

8. Watched an episode of strict parents on MTV, accidentally, and I'm glad to report that I'm on my way to good parenting! LOL :) Seriously, these parents were both coaches. It was cool and hilarious to hear the things I tell my students on TV!! At the same time, it was touching to know that care, going the extra mile, and redirecting children's behavior often and as needed, in order to help them stay on task or on the right track - pays off. Well, sometimes. Especially for the kid. And that is what it is all about when you become an educator. Helping kids change their lives, one child at a time, one day at a time.

OK. Enough nostalgia and perfect world thoughts.

9. The little and simple things make me happy. I attended a grade-level team meeting this week where our 6th grade AP had breakfast for us (yogurt, various kinds of donuts, fresh fruit, granola bars, and!!! chocolate and a candy cane on each one of our seats). I was excited to just be @ work! Hahahaaa... and was ready to listen to what he had to tell us. At the same time, with him being a guy and all, I was impressed at how sometimes people do try to make an effort to plese you and make you happy. And that is great to have, at work and in life.

10. Snow day! and early release at school @ 12:30 today because of the snow. It was exciting. Super fun. The kids had a blast. It's moments like these that remind us that working with kids is fun... Well, good kids that is :) Days like today are much needed. We even celebrated a colleague's birthday during lunch. You could see the snow storm happening before our eyes since my classroom is sorrounded with windows on two of the four walls... For a couple of hours, my class turned into a science lab :) At dismissal, I played with the snow, made snow balls, threw them at another teacher friend and the sorrounding areas... Froze my hands as I removed all the snow from my car before driving off, and walked in the snow and freezing rain as it was coming down my face :) Driving in the snow was a first for me. When I got home, went outside in the cold for like 20 min. looking for Vivo's mom - Minni, who finally came back inside after her adventure today... And as I waited for her, the neighbor's cat also showed up at the same time in our backyard. Yes, I fed him too.

After work today, I've been hanging out at my parent's house since we live 2 min. away from each other! lol and I'm staying here tonight.

11. Even the Weather Channel covered our story: Snow in Houston!? They sent their best, Jim Cantore, to report on the happenings all around the Houston area. When a city with an average temp of 67 degrees around this timeof year hits freezing conditions and 1 in. of snow at Hobby Airport (more than NY and Chicago, per the news media) - You bet it's news!!!

1 comment: