Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas Thoughts...

After living through Hurricane Ike last year (2008), the Houston flood of April (2009), and having one crazy, busy, super stressed summer and the months that followed due to major life changes... Well, you just get to have a different outlook on Christmas and general celebrations.

I grew up in a family where "celebrations" weren't really celebrated... Not because there wasn't anything to celebrate, but because unfortunately, it was just the way it was. Trust me, don't ask.

Anyway, from an early age, I learned to be content with little... But little did I know that I still had a long way to go before I could actually understand how to live life in "good times and bad." The efforts for recovery and getting back to the routine after these major life-altering events have been crazy, hard, and believe it or not, good. Yes, good and here's why.

To make my long story short, this Christmas I didn't even put up a Christmas tree since I've been between homes. I don't even know where it is at my house. It's always been me the one that "celebrates" things and moments in my family. This year, there were no Christmas presents, no birthday presents, no birthday "party" either, for me. I'm 28 now, and I still feel like I don't have it figured out yet. My soul thirsts for God, there are still many broken things in my life, and as the world gathers to celebrate the joyous occassion of the birth of Jesus, the Savior of the world, I can only think of one thing: I would love for everything in my life to be just right. I'm not talking about having more money, more material things, etc... But in an overall evaluation of everything I wish I could come to the conclusion that everything is right by actually feeling it. Isn't that the way things should be? Living "the right time" at the right spot, the right thing, the right moment, the right words, the right thoughts, the right actions... That's what I wish for. I know it's probably confusing to read this... Many thoughts come to mind as I'm hanging out at my parent's house and that always stirs a lot of different things within me.

The Bottom Line: May you and your loved ones enjoy the true meaning of one of the most popular English phrases all around the world, "Merry Christmas." It's not the presents. Not other stuff nor the decorations, although they're not bad to have (but actually pleasant and nice to look at!) if the focus is Jesus. It's about being in the company of each other, enjoying the peace that God can give in a family or individual, and having that profound, grateful attitude of being happy in abudance and in scarcity... the good times and bad, and recognizing that Jesus is the source for everything good. That's the real blessing and gift of Christmas, in my humble opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment